Definition of Personal Information
For Hitachi Group personal information is information that is related to existing persons and that can be used to identify specific persons (for example, names, birth dates, numbers assigned to individuals,symbols or other marks, images, or voice recordings, and relevant information). This includes information that cannot be used to identify individuals by itself, but can be used to identify individuals by easy cross-referencing with other data. Personal information is not limited just to information that can identify individuals, but also includes all information that indicates facts, decisions, or evaluations relating to a person's attributes (such as a person's height or build, finances, work type, or position).
Based on the Personal Information Protection Policy given below, Hitachi Group will pay detailed attention to, and expend the utmost efforts on, protecting and managing such information.
This "About Personal Information Protection" document establishes the handling of personal customer information by Hitachi Group
Personal Information Protection Policy of Hitachi Group
- Collecting, Using, and Providing Personal Information
While carefully considering the entrusting of customer information during company activities, Hitachi Group will handle such information appropriately by establishing a management system for personal information protection for each type of business, and also by following stipulated rules for collecting, using, or providing personal information.
- Following Laws and Norms
For the handling of personal information, Hitachi Group will follow the Japanese laws and norms applicable to the protection of relevant personal information. Also, Hitachi Group will create and follow personal information management rules that conform to these laws and norms.
- Implementing Safety Measures
To ensure the correctness and safety of personal information, in accordance with the rules for information security, Hitachi Group will implement various measures (such as managing access to personal information,restricting the means for transporting personal information outside the company, and preventing incorrect access from outside the company), and strive to prevent any problems with personal information (such as the loss, destruction, falsification, or leakage of information).
- Respecting a Person's Rights Regarding His or Her Personal Information
When a customer makes a request to reveal, correct, or delete his or her own personal information, or seeks to prevent the use or provision of such information, Hitachi Group will respond with sincerity, respecting the customer's rights related to that personal information.
- Establishing Rules for Managing Personal Information Protection, and Making Continual Improvements
Hitachi Group will make sure that executive staff and workers recognize the importance of personal information protection, and will steadily establish rules for managing personal information to ensure that such information is used appropriately and is protected. These rules will be maintained and improved continually.
Purpose of Using Personal Information, and Providing to Third Parties
- In relation to Hitachi Group's main business activities for electrical machinery parts, information communication machinery parts, electronic parts manufacturing, and the information services industry, Hitachi Group will use personal information only to achieve the following listed purposes. However, the business activities of Hitachi Group are many faceted, and you are recommended to view the websites of each business division.
1.a) To execute contracts between a customer and Hitachi Group
1.b) To contact for discussions or meetings with customers
1.c) To provide after-service for products
1.d) To send guides for conventions or meetings, or guides for new products
1.e) To provide various types of member services
1.f) To perform stock-related tasks
1.g) To respond to various types of inquiries
1.h) To perform analysis to improve products or services, based on surveys
1.i) To provide personal information to Hitachi group companies when Hitachi Group co-operates with a Hitachi group company to carry out some business tasks.
- Hitachi Group will not provide customer personal information to a third party without first obtaining consent from the customer, except in the following circumstances:
2.a) When required by law
2.b) When required to protect human life, to avoid injury, or to protect assets, and when obtaining customer consent would be difficult.
2.c) When required to improve public health or improve the healthy upbringing of children, and when obtaining customer consent would be difficult.
2.d) When required to co-operate with the lawful activities of a national agency, local government organization, or person or organization entrusted with such a task, and obtaining customer consent would interfere,or be likely to interfere, with the carrying out of such activities.
2.e) When entrusted with the handling of personal information, in the range of activities required to reach the purpose of the use.
2.f) When providing personal information to continue business activities when business-related events such as mergers occur.
- When required to do so for business activities in which Hitachi Group is co-operating with Hitachi group companies, Hitachi Group sometimes provides Hitachi group companies with personal information (such as names,workplaces, home addresses, telephone numbers, fax numbers, email addresses, etc.). In such cases, the customer personal information is provided on paper or electronic media. The customer can request Hitachi Group to stop the provision of the personal information to a Hitachi group company.
- When a customer contacts Hitachi Group by telephone, the conversation may be recorded to aid accurate replies.
About Usage of Cookies and Web Beacons
A cookie is piece of information that enables interaction between the web server that manages a website and a customer's web browser. A cookie may be stored as a file on the customer's computer disk. When a cookie is used, the web server can record information such as which computer visited which pages on the website. However, Hitachi Group cannot identify an individual customer unless the customer enters his or her own personal information into the website.
- Web beacon
This technology, which functions with a cookie, enables the beacon owner to know how many times a customer accessed a particular page. However, unless the customer enters his or her own personal information when, or after, the cookie is accepted, Hitachi Group cannot identify an individual customer.